By Ramatu Garba, Kano.
The Police Command in Kano State on Wednesday said a man and his wife were found dead on their matrimonial bed in Dawakin Tofa Local Government Area (LGA) of the state.
The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in Kano State, SP Abdullahi Haruna-Kiyawa, who disclosed this via a statement in Kano, said that they apparently died of suffocation from charcoal fumes.
He gave the names of the couple as Sulaiman Idris, 28 and Maimuna Haliru, 20.
“We received a report on Jan.3 at about 9.00 p.m., from Kwa village in Dawakin Tofa LGA, that the two were discovered not to have come out of their matrimonial home since they were was last seen on Jan. 2 at about 11:00 p.m.
“When the grandmother of Idris forced the door open, she discovered the couple motionless on the matrimonial bed, with smoke odour pervading the room.
“On receipt of the report, the Kano State Commissioner of Police, Mr Mamman Dauda, directed a team of detectives, led by CSP Ahmed Hamza, DPO Dawakin Tofa Division, to proceed to the scene.
“The victims were removed from the scene and rushed to Murtala Muhammed Specialist Hospital, Kano, where a medical doctor confirmed them dead,” he said.
Haruna-Kiyawa said that preliminary investigations revealed that the deceased couple lit a charcoal fire to warm their room because of the cold weather.
“They locked up their room and got suffocated by the smoke that emanated from the burning charcoal, while they were fast asleep,” he said.
The PPRO said that investigations into the incident were still in progress.
Haruna-Kiyawa advised the people to be careful whenever they were using fire from charcoal.
He urged them to always take safety precautions because the harmattan season was associated with high risk of fire outbreaks.