By Muftau Ogunyemi, Akure.
Gunmen on Saturday abducted scores of travellers on the Benin-Owo Expressway at Ifon, headquarters of Ose Local Government Area of Ondo State.
The number of the abducted travellers could not be ascertained, as some sources said that the victims were over 40, while others gave the number as 32.
One of the sources at Ifon, who disclosed the incident to newsmen on Sunday, said that the victims were traveling in a Toyota Coaster bus from Benin to Ondo State where they went for a burial ceremony.
“But on getting to Ifon area, the hoodlums ambushed and whisked all the occupants of the vehicle into the bush.
“All the occupants of the vehicle were kidnapped since yesterday (Saturday) and nobody has heard anything about them since then,” a relation of one of the victims said.
While confirming the incident on Sunday, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in Ondo State, SP Funmilayo Odunlami, said that she could not ascertain the number of the victims.
According to her, men of the command and other security agencies in the state have begun a search for the victims in the forest.
“Our men and other security agencies are already in the forest to rescue the victims unhurt, while investigation into the incident has commenced,” Odunlami said.