Owo church massacre: Akeredolu confirms arrest of 5 suspects

Owo church massacre: Akeredolu confirms arrest of 5 suspects

By Segun Giwa, Akure.

 

Gov. Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State on Tuesday confirmed the arrest of five suspected killers of over 40 worshippers at St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo, on June 5.

 

Akeredolu confirmed this when he received leaders of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Ondo State Council, led by the Chairman, Prince Leke Adegbite, who came on a courtesy visit.

 

The governor confirmed the arrest shortly after the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Lucky Irabor, announced the arrest of the masterminds of the attack in Abuja.

 

Akeredolu also disclosed that the owner of the house, where the attackers stayed before the June 5 attack in Owo, had also been arrested

 

He noted that government did not spare a moment in trailing the terrorists since the horrendous attack on the innocent worshippers.

 

“Now that the military has announced it; I can tell you that five of them have been arrested now. They are still on the trail of the rest.

 

“The home where they lodged in Owo has been identified and the person that accommodated them before the attack, has also been arrested.

 

“We did not spare a moment. I am happy that the Chief of Defence Staff has announced it. We have known for a while but we needed not to come out with it because more works are still ongoing.

 

“I can confirm that these arrests have been made and they are still on the trail of some of them,” he said.

 

Besides, Akeredolu called on leaders of the Ebira community in the state to warn the young ones against the bad venture of kidnapping.

 

The governor said that recent reports from kidnap victims in the state had established that some Ebira indigenes were now involved in the unwholesome act.

 

Akeredolu noted that the Ebiras had been living together with the people of the state peacefully for several decades, adding that they had always been supportive and hardworking.

 

“I want to use this medium to urge our brothers to concentrate on their farming trade. It is unfortunate to know that the Ebiras in our midst are now involved in kidnapping.

 

“We are appealing to them not to copy bad thing. The traders selling by the roadside should not become informants.

 

“We are not fighting them; we have seen their numbers, they supported and voted for us during elections. I will call their leaders and talk to them.

 

“Our brothers who were kidnapped on their way to Ikare; talk to them, they were taken to Ebira farmsteads.

 

“For me, we have lived together for too long for this to happen. I am ready to make any effort to ensure that the conviviality that we have enjoyed continues.

 

“But we are begging their leaders to urge them not to copy bad thing. They are in our midst; we are surrounded by them. The issue of security is key and it’s dynamic,” he said.

 

The governor disclosed that aside the recent recruitment and training of new Amotekun Corps personnel, 20 hunters and local vigilantes would be trained by the Amotekun Corps in each of the 18 local government areas of the state.

 

Akeredolu, who thanked the NUJ in the state for the cooperation extended to his administration, assured them of sustained efforts at developing the state.

 

Earlier, the NUJ State Chairman, Adegbite, thanked the governor for his support for the management of Ondo State Radiovision Corporation and Owena Press Plc., adding that the upgrade of facilities in the two state-owned media outfits was commendable.

 

He equally appreciated the governor for the approval of the payment of Weigh-in Allowance to journalists and information officers working in the state and local government service.

Share this post