Police confirm death of 8 children locked inside abandoned car in Lagos

Police confirm death of 8 children locked inside abandoned car in Lagos

The Police Command in Lagos State on Sunday confirmed the death of eight children, who mistakenly locked themselves in an abandoned car, while playing at Adelayo Street, Agunlayo, Jah Micheal, near Magbon area of Badagry.


The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the command, Mr Adekunle Ajisebutu, in a statement, said that the incident occurred on Saturday.


Ajisebutu said that their bodies had been recovered and deposited at the Badagry General Hospital’s morgue for autopsy, so as to determine the actual cause of death.


“Notwithstanding the report made to the police, the Commissioner of Police, CP Hakeem Odumosu, has ordered a thorough and speedy investigation into the circumstances surrounding their death.


“The CP also commiserates with the families of the victims,” he said.


However, a News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) correspondent, who monitored the incident, reports that the eight children were found dead in the car parked in front of the owner’s house.


Mr Suru Avoseh, Commissioner, Lagos State Civil Service Commission, told NAN that the abandoned car belonged to a retired LASU official, who was now late.


He said that the car was forced opened by one of the children, who was the grandchild of its owner, while the other seven were children residing in the neighbourhood.


“The other seven kids are children of Bureau De Change operators living in the community.


“The children forced the door of vehicle opened, entered and closed the door.


“There was no ventilation and nobody knew something was wrong and they suffocated and died.


“It wasn’t a kidnapping incident or any foul play by anyone. It is unfortunate,” he said.


In another development, Dr Tunde Bakare, the Medical Director, Badagry General Hospital, told NAN that the children were brought to the hospital already dead.


He said: “While we told them to leave the corpses, so that we could carry out autopsy on them, one Muslim cleric that followed them disagreed with our staff and insisted that their burial should not exceed Saturday.


“Unfortunately, the police that brought the corpses supported the cleric; so, we had to release the corpses to them.”

Share this post