The Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development has warned that it will not tolerate any plot to sabotage Nigeria’s preparations for the forthcoming Tokyo Olympics.
The Director of Press and Public Relations in the ministry, Mohammed Manga, issued the warning in a statement on Thursday in Abuja.
He said that the warning was against the backdrop of certain elements involved in some acts, aimed at sabotaging Nigeria’s Olympics invitational trials slated for Lagos.
Manga said that the acts were tantamount to undermining Nigeria’s national interests in the area of sports.
He noted that a successful Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) congress in Abuja had produced Tonobok Okowa as President, while he had been inaugurated by the Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare.
The director said that the election and inauguration should have brought an end to all distractions, which were occasioned by the leadership crisis that “ended with the expiration of the old AFN board.”
“The Ministry’s focus remains achieving an impressive podium performance for Nigeria at the Olympics.
“It has, therefore, approved series of qualifying events for Team Nigeria athletes to score the final points required to qualify for the Olympic games.
“Anyone, under any guise attempting to block participating countries and athletes from attending these events, is consequently sabotaging Nigeria and will be held accountable,” he said.
It would be recalled that Okowa on Monday emerged the new President of AFN in the election conducted in Abuja.
However, Ibrahim Gusau was “re-elected” as AFN President in Birnin-Kebbi on the same day by a faction of the federation.