Uganda has banned all public New Year Eve festivities because of surging COVID-19 infections in the country, a top government official said.
Judith Nabakooba, Minister of Information, Communications, Technology and National Guidance, said this on Sunday in a statement in Kampala.
Nabakooba said that all music concerts, overnight prayers and fireworks displays had been cancelled due to the novel coronavirus.
“This gathering and funfair increase the risk of spreading COVID-19.
“Police will not give any permission for fireworks this time. Fireworks are usually accompanied by people staying up late and gathering around a particular place,” she said.
The minister urged the citizens to stay home and welcome the New Year with family members.
As of Saturday, Uganda had registered 33,563 COVID-19 cases, 11,055 recoveries and 245 deaths since the index case was recorded on March 21, according to the Ministry of Health.