ACF condemns attack on Gov. Zulum, describes it as “alarming”

ACF condemns attack on Gov. Zulum, describes it as “alarming”

Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) has condemned Friday’s attack on Gov. Babagana Zulum of Borno, describing the incident as “alarming”.

 

The group’s reaction is conveyed in a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Mr Emmanuel Yawe, in Kaduna on Saturday.

 

Zulum’s convoy was ambushed by the Boko Haram insurgents in the Kukawa neighbourhood on Friday and 11 security men were killed in the attack.

 

ACF, in the statement, said that the news was “disturbing”.

 

“We are alarmed that the deadly attacks have continued, in spite of the assurances we have received from the military and the Federal Government of an improved security situation.

 

“In the attacks of yesterday (Friday), 11 security personnel were killed.

 

“Only last week, a serving senior military officer, Col. Bako, was ambushed and killed around Demboa in the same state.

 

“In July, Zulum came under gunfire while on official tour.

 

“These attacks are affecting public confidence in the ability of the military to successfully defend Nigeria in the ongoing war against terror,” it said.

 

The Forum, however, called on the military to act swiftly to restore public confidence.

 

The ACF said that the terrorists were targeting Zulum because he was raising the people’s hope “in a demoralised country.

 

“If anything untoward happens to him, the consequences for the rest of the country will be grave.

 

“It is instructive to note that the attack on the governor’s convoy happened while he was trying to move some Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) back to their permanent homes from IDPs camps.

 

“These attacks have raised questions on the government’s ability to ensure the safety of IDPs seeking to return to their homes. The military and the Federal Government must act swiftly to end this war,” ACF said.

Share this post